Saturday 10 October 2009

Art House and International : Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf or Death (2008)


I admit to not having done my homework on this, but still... You have to be able to make an impulse purchase every once in a while without getting ripped off.

I was out shopping for a pack of batteries when I saw a new Wallace and Gromit DVD on the shelf. Didn't know Nick Park had done anything since The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, so I quickly investigated. The front of the package said "All New Animated Feature" and the running time said 87 minutes. Now "feature" to me means a full-length presentation (as in "our feature presentation")... a short might be called a featurette. So I assumed this was more than just a 30-minute short (which is what it actually is). They must have totalled all of the supplemental clips on the disc to get that "87 minute" total time. Nice.

Also, since I couldn't find a widescreen copy anywhere in the stacks, I guessed that this had been animated full screen. Wrong. Lion's Gate apparently decided to release only a butchered pan-and-scan version of the short. I didn't know anyone still did that these days. How ignorant.

While I'm sure this short is fun, it went back to the store unopened. I'll wait for a better version to show up someday.

No comments:

My Blog List